Table of Contents
Applying ceramic coating on your car or motorcycle on your own is a relatively simple process. Thanks to the availability of new Super ceramic coating DIY kits, the application process has become straightforward for consumers. Before applying the nano-coating, it is important to ensure that the surface of your vehicle is free from mud, dirt, and stains. This applies to all brand-new vehicles. We recommend performing paint correction if necessary, meaning that the paint should be free from small scratches and swirl marks before applying the coating. After washing, allow the surface to dry completely. It is essential that the paint surface is dry when applying the coating. The ideal condition for applying super ceramic coating is between 15-30 degrees Celsius. The ceramic coating will create a sacrificial hydrophobic layer on top of your paint surface. If you would like to learn more about ceramic coating, including its advantages and disadvantages, you can read about it here.
The video above is only meant to provide an idea of how the ceramic coating is applied. Please read the detailed guide below to get the most out of your ceramic coating application and achieve a showroom shine.
Do's and Don'ts for Applying Super Ceramic Coating at Home
Three-Step Ceramic Coating Process for Achieving a Flawless Finish
In order to effectively apply the Super Ceramic Coating, we can break down the process into three simple and straightforward steps. By following these steps, you can ensure a seamless and professional application of the coating, resulting in enhanced protection and a stunning finish for your vehicle.
Step 1: Surface Preparation
To ensure optimal results, it is highly recommended to thoroughly wash and dry your car before applying the ceramic coating. This step is crucial as it allows for the complete removal of any dirt, grime, or other contaminants that may be present on the surface of your vehicle. By taking the time to properly clean your car, you are creating the ideal foundation for the ceramic coating to adhere to, resulting in a longer-lasting and more effective protection for your vehicle.
Wash & Decontamination
- Start by giving your car a preliminary rinse using a hose with gentle pressure.
- Proceed with a manual wash using car shampoo, employing the two-bucket method. Let it dry. Our Watermelon foam wash shampoo is expertly designed to break down and remove dirt and contaminants effectively without damaging the paint.
Deciding on Polishing (If the color has faded)
If your car’s paint appears faded, is noticeably damaged, or bears scratches, consider paint correction and a subsequent polish after Step 2 for optimal results.
We advise using machine polishing at this juncture to address any minor scratches or imperfections in the car’s clear coat.
A gentle buff with a finishing polish will enhance the surface’s brilliance, preparing it for the ceramic coating’s final touch. Exercise caution around trim areas to avoid scuffing or clogging them with polish; consider using tape for protection.
- Thoroughly wipe down the surface using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) solution. IPA, also known as clinical spirit, is readily available for purchase at any nearby medical store. To create an IPA solution for use on your vehicle, buy a 100% pure IPA solution from your nearest medical store and add 40% water to it. Your IPA solution is now ready! This is for removing any wax or polish residue from the paint surface and preventing it from reacting with the ceramic coating.
Once the above steps are complete, it’s prudent to test the ceramic coating application on a discreet car area to familiarize yourself with the procedure.
Step 2: Applying Super Ceramic Coating
1. Weather Watch: Ensure that there’s no rain or excess moisture in the forecast, especially if you’re working outdoors, as these conditions could interfere with the coating’s curing process.
2. Gather Your Essentials: Ensure you have all necessary items on hand. All below items are included in the Super Ceramic Coating DIY Kit.
- Fresh microfiber buffing towel.
- The applicator block, along with suede cloths.
- The main act: Super Ceramic Coating. Handle the bottle with care – while it’s robust, it’s not immune to breakage.
Basic Application Steps:
1. Fold a microsuede cloth around the applicator block and dispense 4 or 5 drops of Super Ceramic Coating onto it.
2. Gently spread a thin layer over the car’s surface. Start with horizontal strokes and then switch to vertical ones to ensure uniform coverage. Replenish the cloth with more drops once it feels dry.
3. Allow the coating to settle for 1-5 minutes (duration depends on the ambient temperature). Afterwards, delicately buff off any excess using a separate microfiber cloth or towel. Use minimal pressure and ensure you’ve removed any residues or uneven patches.
Approximate Drying Intervals:
- 10°C: 4-5 minutes
- 20°C: 2-3 minutes
- 25°C+: 1-2 minutes
Systematically move through each section of the vehicle, applying and buffing one part at a time. Once you’ve covered the entire car or motorcycle, let it bask in the sun for about 5 hours to dry properly. You can drive afterward, but it’s wise to steer clear of rain or snow for the next few days. See? Simpler than you thought, right?
If questions arise, don’t hesitate to contact our Expert Care Team. You’re part of the family now, and we’ve got your back!
Step 3: Post Application
Great job on getting your vehicle ceramic coated!
Welcome to the exclusive group of car enthusiasts who understand the essence of superior car protection. With your vehicle now beautifully ceramic coated, it’s vital to know a few things as it cures. Here’s a rundown:
Weather and Curing Time: Has your vehicle had sufficient time to cure without exposure to moisture or adverse weather? If yes, you’re set. If not, ensure it’s kept sheltered until it’s fully cured.
Water Spotting: After a rain or extended idle period, you might notice some spots left by evaporated rainwater. These are merely surface spots and can be easily rinsed off. The protective layer ensures that these residues don’t bond with the coating.
High Spots: Ensure the coating is evenly applied without any high spots. Inspect closely, preferably with a handheld light, and buff out any discrepancies. If you find a hardened spot, reapply a little Super Ceramic Coating to reactivate it, then buff again.
Water-Beading Effect: After the coating has cured, try the water beading test. It’s impressive to watch the water glide off your car.
Remaining Super Ceramic Coating: A little goes a long way with the Super Ceramic Coating solution. If you have any left, it remains potent for next 1 years when sealed correctly. And if you have an unopened bottle, it’s good to use for a touch-up after about 2 years, lasting up to 5 Years,
Microfiber Cloths: Once the coating dries, it may crystallize and make your microfiber towels stiff. Reusing them can introduce micro-scratches. If the coating hardens them, it’s best to discard. You can always restock from our store.
Additional Layers: If you decide to add more layers to your coating later, treat it like a fresh application. Clean the pre-coated surface thoroughly, ensure no contaminants remain, and reapply as needed.
Any questions or just fancy a chat? Reach out to our online Expert Team. We’re always here for you.